Advice from Centenarians
Do you want to live to a 100 and beyond? I do but only if I have quality of life and I’m sure you feel the same way.
The anti-aging industry has grown into a $300 billion market. So clearly if you ask them, they will have a pill, potion or lotion for you. We truly are fascinated to find the key to longevity and vitality.
Researchers have traveled to blue zones, parts of the world that have the highest concentration of centenarians, to discover the secrets to living a happy and healthy life. Is there really a recipe for a long life? If so, are there common denominators that are seen across the world such as diet, exercise, strong relationships?
Here are the top 5 things that centenarians do and advise you to do if you want to have longevity and quality of life:
- Have fun! Life is short even at 100+. If you like to travel, ski, shop, make art, fine dine or drink great wine, Do It. No apologies needed. Stop waiting for the perfect opportunity to do any of it. The perfect time is now.
- Be with someone who truly makes you happy and never settle for less. Forgive because no one is perfect and not forgiving is only hurting you. Find love and don’t forget to get frisky.
- Be good to your body and feed it foods that give you energy. Stay away from food that drain you. A diet hight in vegetable, fruit and water were a common denominator.
- Find a way to move your body everyday. Exercise keeps your muscles and bones strong, increase your energy and boost your mood as well as improves your memory and cognitive function.
- Find a purpose greater than yourself. Help others in need and always find the silver lining. Volunteerism was a key factor in longevity.
That seems pretty simple. If that’s all I have to do, I think I’ll live to 150.